Friday, September 26, 2008

Pretty blue flowers...

...all over my card. I have been wanting to play with this set ever since I got it, and finally found some time a couple of days ago. I love any images that lend themselves to watercoloring, and this one fits the bill.

I started by diving into the vaults of my retired paper and getting out the Cool Caribbean. I loved that blue. I miss that blue. I have my own private stash of that blue but I will deny it if you ask me. So, if anyone asks you, dear readers, just tell them that I found one lone sheet of the coveted blue and used it for this card.

I paired it up with Pacific Point Blue (you better bet your britches I'll be stockpiling...err...stocking up...on this color before the end of the catalog year as well), Kiwi Kiss, and Chocolate Chip. I stamped the flower images and then colored them in using Cool Caribbean, Pacific Point, and Summer Sun ink and a blender pen. Usually, I like to do these kind of images with an aquapainter, but the first one I tried got too washed out and the Pacific Point ink did not stay as saturated as I wanted it to. After the card was finished and the pictures were shot, I spent some time

looking at the centers of the flowers and decided to add some Diamond Dust Stickles to them to sparkle them up. The greeting was stamped using a Spectrum pad (if you look closely you will see the variation of the ink from left to right.)


















The delicious velvet ribbon was a find...I wish I could just weave it into a blankie and wrap myself in it when I stamp. Anyone have a loom? No? Well, I guess I will have to parcel it out one card at a time then.

I want to encourage anyone who doesn't think they are any good at watercoloring to keep on trying, and start with an image like this one, where there are areas of darkness to act as your coloring "guide". Just remember, start with your lighter color, then add in your darker shade over the dark stamped areas and blend back in. It may be just finding the right tools for you. I prefer inks with an aquapainter, with watercolor pencils and aquapainter coming in a very close second. You can use crayons or pastels if you prefer. Or combine more than one color medium to get a great look.

The best thing about watercolors? Think Monet. His flowers were just beautiful strokes of color...not incredibly detailed petals. Watercoloring is very forgiving, and perfection is not a prerequisite.

I hope this inspires you to stamp some images and start coloring them in. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and until next time...Happy Stamping!

Kim

4 comments:

Rose said...

That card, my friend, is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kim Williams said...

Thank you so much! It is one of my new favorites that I have made recently.

Lydia Fiedler said...

THE UNDERSTAND BLUE SEAL OF APPROVAL!!! GORGEOUS!

Lydia Fiedler said...

I tagged you! Get ready to spill it!!

Check here for deets!

http://understandblue.blogspot.com/2008/09/bird-watching.html